Poop Watch 2007 update #2

Filed under: doctor,tmi — by Lauren on May 10th, 2007 @ 11:47 pm

It’s weird to think of any poop in a fond manner, but I miss breast milk poops.  Formula poops really are gross.  I shudder to think of what I have to look forward to once Anya actually starts eating solid foods (Hmmm, we’ll have to post about that whole issue some other time).

Today was the third day of soy formula, and it started to take its toll on Anya.  Poor baby, she was having a lot of trouble pooping, and she would cry every time she tried.  When I say cry, I mean really cry; I had to pick her up and hold her close until she calmed down.  I could feel her stomach tensing as she tried to move things along, and she would grab at my shoulders and squeeze them.  She slept a lot this morning and afternoon, mostly on my shoulder after working herself up trying to go.
I switched her to a milk-based formula after her first bottle this morning.  That was the plan for today anyway; this way we can rule out a lactose problem before we start nursing again and we’ll know for sure if the meds are the issue.  It didn’t seem to have any affect on her until after the third bottle of the regular Similac.  The diaper that came after that had stools that were much looser than the soy formula poops, but I couldn’t say for sure it was diarrhea.  It was certainly more formed than the breast milk diarrhea.  When in doubt, call the doctor, so I did, again.  After I described what it looked like, he said that it could have been normal milk-based formula poop, and that I should monitor her but could still start nursing tomorrow if I thought she was okay.  I won’t take her off the formula until she goes again in the morning, and if it seems to be normal I’ll try nursing her after that.  If it turns out she is having a problem with the lactose, I have a third kind of formula to try, one that is milk-based but lactose-free.  I hope it doesn’t come to that, though.

I really shouldn’t be awake and posting this right now, but I took advantage of not nursing for a few days and drank Coke for the first time in about a year and a half.  Now I’m all wired up from the caffeine.  Big mistake.  I’m going to be SO tired tomorrow!

Poop Watch 2007 update

Filed under: doctor,symptoms,tmi — by Lauren on May 8th, 2007 @ 8:09 pm

I took Anya back to the doctor yesterday because it had been 2 full weeks of diarrhea. He no longer felt we could suspect a harmless stomach bug, since 14 days is a long time, even for a baby. Also, she hadn’t gained any weight in the last two weeks, which was a little concerning.

He suggested four possible culprits: transient lactose intolerance (best case scenario), the medication I am taking for my ulcerative colitis, a more serious infection (such as salmonella or E. coli), or a gastrointestinal problem. We’re not going to worry about a GI issue unless we rule everything else out, and the chance of it being a serious infection is slim, since she has no other symptoms. The doctor has put her on a soy, lactose-free formula temporarily but indefinitely. If she has transient lactose intolerance, this will give her digestive tract the break it needs to get itself back together. He gave me 4 cans of the Similac Soy Anti-Diarrheal formula and said I could use the soy powder I have at home once she finishes the cans.

Well, I’m happy to report that after less than 24 hours, she is diarrhea-free. Her poops look like, well, poop (formula poops are much thicker and stinkier than breast milk poops, in case anyone was wondering). Not one diaper leaked today, hooray! The doctor is very pleased, and said that I may be able to resume nursing again as early as Friday, as long as she stays healthy. Of course, if I start nursing again and she goes back to having diarrhea, then we have a problem, since I’m having a tough time shaking this colitis flare up and I’ll probably need to be on meds for a few more weeks. Keep your fingers crossed that it was transient lactose intolerance after all and we are now in the clear!

Poop Watch 2007

Filed under: tmi — by Lex on May 2nd, 2007 @ 2:45 pm

Note that this post is categorized TMI. If you don’t want to talk baby poop, then go somewhere else.

Anya has always been a frequent pooper. More recently, for the past week and a half or so, she’s been a loose pooper. There are a variety of possible causes for Anya’s current ongoing diarrhea; our pediatrician thinks it’s most likely a virus.

Since yesterday morning’s liquidy opus, however, Anya’s bowels have remained quiet. Almost too quiet.

We don’t know exactly what’s coming, and we don’t know when. But with all the feedings, including solids, that Anya has downed since her last movement… We’re prepared for anything.

Lauren and I are wearing rain slickers from now until the dam bursts, just in case.

Poop :(

Filed under: baby's progress,doctor,the day-to-day stuff — by Lauren on March 31st, 2009 @ 10:32 pm

Day Two of being a temporarily single mom of 2 kids and a dog is just about to end (is it Friday yet?).  It hasn’t been as terrible as I’d feared.  I mean, the middle of the day is the same as any day during the work week; it’s just the morning and dinner through bedtime that are a tad challenging.

Yesterday I was proud of myself for getting the house (relatively) clean and cooking both lunch and dinner from scratch (something I often do anyway, but with Lex there for the extra support).  I like to cook when Lex has to travel for work; I experiment with recipes he probably wouldn’t eat.  Today, however, I ordered pizza for dinner.  Why?  Well, Anya was napping at last, so I tried to take advantage of the time and clean up the kitchen.  Sierra, of course, decided she MUST be held at that time.  Realizing I was not going to get anything done that way, I got her set up in the Moby and resumed washing the dishes.  Everything was going along swimmingly – she was happy, I only had a few bottles left – when suddenly my foot was very warm and wet.  I looked down and discovered I was now standing in a giant pool of baby poop, and it was still coming.  I couldn’t even fathom HOW it had happened (turns out it exploded out the side).  I now had to get Sierra out of the Moby, preferably without getting anymore poop on me or her, and remove my befouled sock, and then get her over to the changing table to clean her up.  Miraculously, the poop managed to miss her onesie, which made things easier – no chance of getting anything in her hair.  Once I got her taken care of, I started dealing with both of our poop-covered pants and socks before starting the now necessary load of laundry I had intended to put off until tomorrow morning.  Midway through rinsing the clothes, I remembered that I had to clean up the kitchen floor, and that’s when Anya woke up crying hysterically.  Dealt with that, got the clothes finished up, started the laundry, and then sat down, exhausted.  It was already 4:45 pm, and I didn’t see how I was ever going to get those bean taquitos I had planned to make done by 5:30 pm.  Hooray for $7.99 large pie Tuesdays at Mezza Luna.

I’m sure I’ll laugh at that story one day.  Twenty-nine years later, my parents laugh at the time my diaper exploded on my dad’s watch and he called frantically to my mom, who discovered him holding me over the kitchen sink, poop running down his arms.

On a much less amusing note, I’m taking Sierra to the doctor in the morning.  When I changed her diaper this evening, there was blood in her stool.  I did not freak out; I stayed pretty calm, actually – surprising for me, especially given my family’s IBD history.  I spoke with the doctor on call, and he agreed that IBD is not very likely since she has no other symptoms and onset at this age is extremely rare.  She does need to be seen, though, to rule out other causes (an infection, a milk protein allergy, etc.).  Hopefully it turns out to be nothing.

Weaning – it’s going to be okay

Filed under: baby's progress — by Lauren on November 8th, 2007 @ 11:34 pm

Since Anya’s first birthday, we’ve been working on partially weaning her from nursing. I had initially intended to wean her completely after she turned one, but as we got closer to the time I decided to eliminate the day time feedings but continue to nurse her first thing in the morning and before bed time. I want her to keep getting the health benefits of breast milk, and I’d like to make up for some of the time when she couldn’t nurse due to the ulcerative colitis medications I was taking (go back to May 2007 if you want to relive the whole Poop Watch 2007 fiasco). I’ll probably continue this until she’s about 18 months, unless she decides she doesn’t want to nurse anymore (although if you’ve ever met Anya, you’ll know that there’s a better chance that she’ll suddenly take up sky diving or something equally ridiculous).

When she turned one, Anya was nursing 4 times a day. We started dropping the 11 am feeding first, replacing it with a snack and whole milk. Though she had no interest in drinking the milk, she made this first transition without any tantrums. On the whole, this was a good thing. I have been very emotionally torn about weaning her; part of it feels like abandoning her or pushing her to do something she’s not ready to do, but I know that there’s also a piece of me that is having a difficult time letting go, and I can’t let my own issues get in the way of doing what’s right for her.

I intended to wait a week, and then start working on the mid-afternoon feeding, but since Anya came down with a stomach bug we delayed this next step until she was better. This past Sunday we began to work on it, and the first day did not go well. It may have been because she was cranky and overdue for a nap, but she was so upset. She signed/said milk over and over again and cried big, sad tears. Lex took her from me and got her to go down for her nap, and when she woke up she was in a much better mood. I was very concerned that we were rushing her and that she just wasn’t ready, but the next 3 days went off without a hitch – and she’s been drinking whole milk in greater quantities each day.

Where we are now is where I hope we’ll be for a while. Of the morning and night time feedings, I have been most anxious about what will happen when we want to drop the morning feeding. It’s the only one that she seems extremely attached to, at least comparitively, and I have feared that it will be difficult for her to let it go.  However, this morning she had to skip it because I had a colonoscopy scheduled for today and I couldn’t nurse her due to the medication I had to take to prepare for it.  Lex and I had planned for this ahead of time; we decided that he would get her when she woke up and offer her whole milk in her sippy cup, but keep her upstairs while I stayed downstairs (I had to take the rest of the pills for the colonoscopy prep at 5:30 am anyway).  This way she wouldn’t be upset that I was there but not feeding her.  Well, it actually went surprisingly well.  The thing she was most bothered by was that I wasn’t there to say good morning to her; she kept asking for me and looking around our bedroom as though expecting that I would pop out of my hiding place any minute.  She didn’t drink a huge amount of milk, but she did accept it, and then she eagerly ate some applesauce a little later.  It’s certainly reassuring that she was fine without getting to nurse, though honestly it’s a little bittersweet for me – I have to remember that she’ll still love me and need me, even when we’re not nursing at all anymore.

Even though today was a success, I don’t think that Anya’s ready to give up breastfeeding altogether just yet.  As I was getting her dressed for bed, she saw the Boppy pillow and must have asked for milk at least 20 times.  The look of pure joy on her face when she saw me sit down with the Boppy was priceless – she practically jumped onto my lap – and for the first time in a while, she fell asleep while nursing (and I got to cut her fingernails, woohoo!).  Even after a year, there’s still something amazing about seeing the blissfully calm expression that she only gets when she nurses.  I know she’ll be alright when we’re done, but I will miss it.

2 pieces of good news

Filed under: news,symptoms — by Lauren on August 5th, 2007 @ 8:42 am

#1 – I am going back to work in September! A fantastic part-time teaching position in the Manalapan school district (where I attended elementary and middle school) more or less fell into my lap. It’s a resource position in a 6th grade classroom, teaching only two periods in the afternoon. I wouldn’t need to be at work until noon, and I’ll be able to leave by 2:30. I’ll get to spend the whole morning and most of the afternoon with Anya, but I’ll still be able to teach. My mom is going to watch her two days a week, and we enrolled her in one of the local Goddard Schools for the other three. A lot of what I’ll take home from my salary is going to end up paying for day care, but that’s okay. I don’t consider the real benefit of this job the money; it’s more about getting my foot in the door so that when I’m ready to go back full-time, I already have experience with the district. The job doesn’t provide any insurance benefits since it’s considered a .372 position, but it is on a tenure track and it applies towards a pension. I’m very excited about this, and I think day care is going to be a positive experience for Anya.

#2 – Anya is finally back to nursing 100% of the time! No more formula! I’m still taking the medication that had been upsetting her stomach, but it doesn’t seem to be bothering her anymore. We decided awhile ago to try introducing breastmilk on post-medication days very slowly, one breast, one feeding at a time. We started with the last feeding of the day and worked back to the morning feeding. Well, as of last weekend, we finally cut out the last bottle of formula, and Anya has been doing wonderfully. Poop Watch 2007 is officially over – and I hope I never need to see my breast pump again!

One step forward, two steps back

Filed under: baby's progress,doctor,tmi — by Lauren on May 15th, 2007 @ 10:23 pm

The tummy saga continues.

I started nursing Anya again on Sunday. I had not taken the Canasa since Friday night – good news for Anya, not for me. Everything poop-related was exactly as it should be on Monday, at least for Anya, again, not for me. I was all ready to write a post entitled “Poop Watch 2007, the Conclusion” but that is not what fate had in store for us. I called my doctor Monday morning and requested to switch to Rowasa, which is the same medication that’s in the Canasa, but in a different form. He also put me on Prednisone (grrr) but agreed to let me try the 6-day dose pack instead of jumping right into a daily dose.

I nursed Anya Monday night, and before bed I took the Rowasa. I hoped with every ounce of my being that she would be fine the next day, but the diarrhea came back. Now we know conclusively that the medication was the cause, so Lex and I agreed to put nursing on hold until I am off the medication (I think I may need to get a new pump; mine is starting to wheeze at the stress of overuse). We put her back on the soy formula; she took about 4 oz. before we went to our Baby Rock and Roll class and everything seemed fine. She had been coughing a little that morning but stopped, and her nose was no longer running. Well, we get to class and are sitting in the circle when Anya starts coughing a little, so I gave her a pat on the back and suddenly the mat was covered in the soy formula again. Everyone was very nice in helping me get her cleaned up. I must have looked extremely worried because they kept trying to reassure me that she was okay. Once I mentioned that we had put her on the formula that morning they tried to convince me to stay – “Of course that was the cause.” One mom whose baby is on formula exclusively said her daughter has done that a couple of times due to an air bubble. I still wanted to take Anya home just in case, especially after she started to retch again (I managed to hold her over the trash can; it was mostly mucus and a little more formula).

As we were driving home, I heard her gagging again, so I pulled over to check on her, and it looked as though she had just spit up, so I wiped her off and hurried home. On Saturday when she had thrown up, she got it all out and that was it, but today she just kept gagging and bringing more stuff up. Eventually she was vomiting what looked like thick yellow Gatorade, and she was turning bright red each time she tried to get it out. We called the doctor after the 5th time, and were told not to worry about the yellow vomit (apparently that’s not a big deal), go back on the Pedialyte, and bring her in again. She was also getting a little lethargic, but she was overdue for a nap and had put in a lot of energy vomiting. Her color was good and her mouth and skin were moist, so dehydration wasn’t likely yet.

At the office, they weighed Anya – she lost 2 oz. since her 6 months appointment, which is definitely a cause for concern, although since she’s still such a chub no one was worried about her being malnourished. Otherwise she looked healthy, aside from a little fluid in her right ear. Dr. Patel agreed that we needed to hold off on nursing until I’m off the medication, and he wanted us to switch to a new formula from Nestle. The plan was to keep her on Pedialyte for most of the afternoon and then give her 2 oz. of the formula every hour until bedtime.

Today went well, though by 5 pm I think she was pretty hungry and tired of the Pedialyte. She kept trying to nurse on any exposed area of my skin, and signed milk repeatedly during the last bottle of Pedialyte. She had diarrhea a couple of times before we started the formula, but that is likely residual effect of the evil breast milk I gave her this morning combined with today’s liquid only diet. This formula has to be the answer; I can’t bear to see her suffering like this (but at least she’s oblivious to it, for the most part).

I called the company that manufactures Canasa to report Anya’s reaction; I’ll try to get in touch with the makers of Rowasa and the FDA tomorrow. I couldn’t say that it would have been worth it, but I’ll be glad if this whole debacle helps some other mom and her baby in the future.

Let’s hope my next post really is the conclusion of Poop Watch 2007.

Didn’t Sierra turn 18 months…like TWO MONTHS AGO?

Filed under: baby's progress,photos,Sierra,video — by Lauren on August 15th, 2010 @ 10:32 am

Um, yeah…  I’m a total slacker blogging mom.  Sierra’s changed so much in the last two months, it’s almost like she’s a completely different person from the kid she was in June.  I had lots of video clips that I meant to post, but they’re all kind of out of date at this point.  Rather than detail what Sierra was like at 18 months, I’ll mostly try to recap some of what’s been going on since June 6th.

Let’s start with her 18 month well check and stats – at her appointment, she was 21 lbs, 5 oz (10th percentile) and 31 inches (25th percentile).  That’s TINY for a child of mine.  Even yesterday, she only weighed in at 22.2 lb on our bathroom scale.  How’d that 8 lb, 7 oz baby turn into such a peanut?  Though she doesn’t always eat a huge amount in any one sitting, she definitely has a good appetite – like when she starts shrieking that she wants lunch at 10 am.  The doctor pronounced her healthy and fabulous, and again commented that her verbal skills are quite advanced.  She got two shots, in her arms rather than in her legs at my request, since in the past the shots haven’t bothered her as much when given in the arms.  She didn’t even notice the first one – she was way too distracted by getting a bandaid (“Sticker!!!”) – and she cried for maybe 5 seconds after the next one, stopping as soon as she got another Band-Aid (“TWO stickers!!!”).

Shortly after Sierra turned 18 months old, she started really combining words, and now she gives us everything from single words to short phrases (“Baby fall down”) to complete sentences (“Mommy, where did Daddy go?” or “I have a dolly.  Look, Mom!”). The first completely spontaneous sentence that I noticed her saying was “Mommy, I like peppers!”  She also sings whole songs, often at hilariously loud volumes.  Some of her favorites are:

  • The Alphabet Song
  • Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star
  • Where is Thumbkin?
  • Happy Birthday
  • Rain, Rain, Go Away
  • The theme song from the show “Weeds” (not that we let her watch that!)

Her articulation has improved greatly, though Lex and I can certainly understand her better than someone who doesn’t know her would.  Much like her big sister, she is pretty shy around people she doesn’t know too well and will clam up.  She’s learning how to count – currently she’s got “One, two, three, ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen” down pat – and she can identify several shapes.  Though she can’t consistently identify colors yet, she can match them like a pro, especially with her Melissa and Doug fish puzzle.  Puzzles are a big thing for her, actually.  She adores them!  She also greatly enjoys the Biscuit books, Dora and Diego (and has a few Spanish phrases in her everyday vocabulary, courtesy of those two), and all baby dolls.

Sierra’s love for Anya has grown to near idol worship.  As soon as she hears Anya make any noise in the morning, she begins shouting, “Anya wake up!  Play in Anya room!”  She always wants to share with her big sister, too.  She has these two baby dolls that she likes to take with her when we go out, but she has to take both of them and not just one, because she needs “ONE FOR ANYA!”  She’s always going over to give her hugs and kisses, especially if Anya gets upset or hurts herself.  They play together very nicely for the most part, too, and anything Anya does, Sierra wants to do, too.

What else?  Let’s see.  We are continuing to work on potty training.  Sierra loves to pee both on the toilet and in her diaper equally, but she knows what she’s supposed to do, and will gladly tell anyone else who goes to the toilet that they are a big girl.  She had been resistant to pooping on the toilet for several weeks after having had some success, but in the last few days she’s been doing a much better job – and she loves getting hand stamps and stickers as a reward.  As for sleeping, Sierra is doing beautifully.  After a short bedtime routine, she goes in the crib awake and often puts herself to sleep by singing or talking herself.  Our only big complaint is that we wish she would sleep later .  We can deal with the 6 am wake up call, but when it gets closer to 5 am, it’s rough.  Sierra is still a little imp – climbing on whatever she can, standing on stools and shouting “One, two, three, jump!” (but she doesn’t jump, thankfully), sneaking up to the landing on the stairs and taunting me with, “Mommy… Up so high!” – but she’s also a total sweetheart, showering us with unprompted hugs, kisses, I love yous, pleases, thank yous, and excuse mes all the time.  I’ve said this before, but I’ll say it again anyway:  I think we’ll keep her.

A day I hope I remember

Filed under: baby's progress — by Lex on May 30th, 2009 @ 8:08 pm

(Cross-posted from Lex, Briefly.)

Today was an emotional day.

Charlie was my first dog. My parents hate animals, and we never had so much as a goldfish growing up. Lauren and I were considering a dog — and, in fact, only looked at condos in LA where they were allowed — shortly before our wedding in 2003. We went one day to look at a maltese (a dog I’m generally not allergic to), after Lauren saw an ad on Craig’s List.

We discussed beforehand, and on the ride to the home in Arcadia, that we weren’t getting a dog that day; we were merely checking out the experience of dog shopping.

That lasted until 10-week-old Charlie came bounding into the room. He ran around with impressive (even by puppy standards) energy, bit our fingers, and was generally adorable. $600 later, he was ours. He peed on my leg — just a little — on the way home. I was impressed to note that I didn’t mind too much.

Charlie was an early wedding present to ourselves, and we loved that dog like crazy. Lauren and I taught him tricks — Bang! (for play dead), Gimme Five!, Who’s The Man (for speak), roll over… We were impressed with Charlie’s learning ability. We snuggled with Charlie at every available opportunity. We bought him an insane amount of toys, especially ones that were meant to stimulate his brain (like toys with other toys inside them, or a ridiculous gumball machine-esque contraption that dispensed food).

Our dealings with Charlie were a remarkably prescient predictor of how Lauren and I would perform as parents. We aim to teach our kids constantly, we’re impressed by how quickly they learn, we snuggle incessantly, we buy them too many toys — especially brain stimulating ones. We often said that Charlie was like a practice kid for us, and we were more right than I realized at the time.

Charlie’s life changed when we moved from LA to New Jersey. He was diagnosed with diabetes, serious allergies, and other issues, and we soon began a regiment of twice-daily insulin injections, monthly allergy shots (administered by us), and a variety of other oral medicines. That cocktail of medicines brightened his mood considerably, and restored some of his vim.

But Charlie still wasn’t the same dog here in Jersey. Of course, we weren’t the same Lex and Lauren, either. That’s obviously because in October 2006, Anya was born. Our lives changed dramatically — and entirely for the better.

Charlie, however, received markedly less attention than he’d ever had.

Over time, partially as a behavior issue, and partially as a side effect of being a dog with some serious health problems, Charlie became more difficult. Peeing on our comforter, or in my office, or in the playroom. Or pooping on the playmat in the playroom. A lot. Note that his doggy door is right inside the playroom.

On top of that, Charlie also got mopier. With two kids, we really couldn’t give Charlie even a fraction of the attention he wanted. His bathroom problems, coupled with some other constant misbehaviors, on top of his daily exacting medical needs (injections precisely 12 hours apart chief among them)… These all added up to a situation where sadly we realized Charlie became more burdensome than anything else.

This, not surprisingly, was a very sad realization for us.

Today, after much reflection and not a little grief, we gave Charlie to a very loving family, where folks are always home (and not working), and the kids are a bit older than ours to boot.

Saying goodbye to Charlie was very difficult today. But seeing the family that took him, their excitement and eagerness, was quite reassuring. Giving Charlie away — admitting defeat — feels like a declaration that we’ve failed Charlie. And in some ways, we undoubtedly have.

Still… As difficult as our decision was, it was the right one for Charlie. Of that, I have no doubt. He’ll thrive on the attention he’ll receive there, and we’ll be happier andsaner here to boot.

In many ways, this to me is a key element of parenting. You need to make difficult decisions that you know are the right ones. (I’m not advocating giving away your kids. Rather, I’m just saying sometimes we need to make difficult or unpopular decisions — no Dora unless you eat your veggies, perhaps? — because even if they induce near-term grumpiness, they’re important and right to make. We’re still pretty bummed about the Charlie situation, but I’m honestly proud of us that we were able to do the right, hard thing.

Today, Anya and Lauren had a cute conversation.

Anya: I love my baby! (Referring to Sierra.)
Lauren: Should Mommy and Daddy have another baby some day?
Anya: Yes!
Lauren: Do you want a brother, or a sister?
Anya: A brother. I already HAVE a sister!

Yesterday, Sierra learned how to clap her hands. Much like she did when she learned to wave hello, Sierra’s been celebrating her newfound skill nonstop. Watching her perfect her clapping would warm even the stoniest heart.

After Anya’s nap, I asked her if she wanted to go outside and read with me on the glider. She said yes. I asked her what we each would read. She told me I would read my “Candle,” which is frankly pretty close. Anya took her “Giant Book,” an oversized book of stories that playoff Disney classics. We sat there, swinging together on a not-too-hot, perfectly sunny day, reading next to one another. I got an email on my Blackberry while I was out there, from the family that had Charlie, reporting that he was playing happily on the beach with them all day.

Anya finished her book, and I was prepared to go back inside, even though I was fairly engrossed in the novel I was reading. Anya told me that, no, she wanted to read her book all over again. We sat there together for 90 minutes.

When we finally went back inside, I didn’t have to worry about Charlie barking at the sound of the door, waking Sierra from her nap. Even better, I knew that he was right at that moment having oodles of fun with his new family. But the best part of that moment was that I had just spent an hour and a half reading alongside my older daughter.

There’s a ton of guilt surrounding this Charlie situation. Again, though, I know that we made the right call with him today. Still, I prefer when the right decisions are the easy ones — like, say, reading outside on the glider on a perfect day.

As I wrote this post, Sierra started crying in her co-sleeper, and Lauren went up to comfort her. Moments later, I heard Anya, went to her room, gave her the water she wanted, came back downstairs, went back to her when she called again, soothed her again, and came down to finish writing.

I don’t have a pat conclusion to share here. I just know that today was a memorable one for me. We made an emotional but ultimately good decision regarding Charlie. Sierra seemingly applauded it. I shared a great moment with Anya. I’m not suggesting that I earned a parenting merit badge today. But I do know that one uniquely rewarding element of parenting is the constant awareness that you’re getting better at it.

Sierra is two months old!

Filed under: baby's progress,doctor,photos,video — by Lauren on February 10th, 2009 @ 11:52 pm

This is several days late, but like I said, who has time to blog?

Sierra turned two months old this past Friday, and she certainly has grown since birth.  At her well check last Tuesday, she weighed 11 lbs, 7 oz (70th percentile) and measured 23 1/2 inches (90th percentile).  The doctor said she is very healthy overall, but suggested we treat the rash she has with low dose hydrocortisone cream. especially on her cheek (and two applications later it was pretty much gone).   He also commented both on her good head control and how happy she seems.  She got four shots and an oral vaccination.  At first it seemed like she wasn’t having a reaction to them other than being a little sleepy, but then around lunch time she turned into a screaming banshee.  It appeared her legs were very sore because if I even brushed against them she cried harder.  We gave her some Tylenol and about 90 minutes later she conked out on my shoulder.  She had two modes – hysterical crying or asleep – until around dinnertime, when she snapped out of it and returned to her usual sweet self.  Poor baby.

Aside from vaccination time, happy is a great word to describe Sierra.  She certainly gets fussy if she’s hungry or tired, but for the most part she is a content baby who loves to smile at everyone.  I think she’s particularly fond of Anya, which is great because Anya absolutely dotes on her.  She’s a very good big sister, and I love how she apes the way we talk to Sierra.

Sierra has been “talking” so much lately!  She makes the sweetest little noises (except when I turn on my camera, then little devil is as silent as can be).  The other night I realized she was “calling” me – she was on her play mat, and if I looked away from her she’d coo and coo until I looked at her again, at which point she’d flash me the biggest grin ever.  She really is a sweet baby.  She loves bath time and hanging out in just a diaper, and absolutely eats up any attention she’s given.  She prefers napping in her swing, and still finds white noise very soothing.  She tolerates being on her tummy some of the time, especially if she can shove a fist in her mouth.  She does not like hanging out in her car seat if she is awake.

Though she has some decent awake periods now, Sierra is still a champion sleeper (well, compared to Anya as a baby), at least for naps.  At night she usually sleeps for a period that is at least 4 1/2 hours long, sometimes up to 6 hours.  After that she’ll wake up two to three hours later to eat again, but she usually is not interested in going back to sleep unless it’s on my chest.

We have been trying to introduce a bottle to Sierra, but so far she’s not particularly on board.  We’ve had some success with the Playtex bottles (both the Drop Ins and the Ventaires), but Sierra seems to think food is best straight from the source.  She’s not a huge fan of pacifiers, either.   In fact, the only two things she really likes in her mouth are her fists or the breast.  It’s great that she doing so well with breastfeeding, but aside from wanting to be able to have an occasional night out without worrying about leaving her hungry at home, I need the security of knowing she will take a bottle in case I have a colitis flare-up – and unfortunately, I started one last Thursday.  The good news is I caught it very early and started medication right away.  The bad news is that the medication I have to take is the same one that made Anya sick when she was a baby.  It looked like Sierra was having a reaction (three explosive diapers and two that almost leaked in two days), but over the last three days things have stayed contained.  I hope it means that she’s going to be fine and we won’t have to stop breastfeeding until I’m over this thing.

Speaking of diapers, what size is Sierra wearing these days?  Good question.  We finished our first box of size 1 Baby Drys about ten days ago, and since they were getting a little snug I got a box of size 1-2 Huggies to use before moving on to size 2 diapers.  Then Sierra’s diapers started exploding, so we thought maybe it was time to move up to size 2 after all (a bummer since we still had more than 2/3 of the box of Huggies left).  Now the diaper situation seems to have resolved, and we went back to using the Huggies, but thenI found several size 1 Swaddlers leftover from the hospital, and they still fit and contain things, too.  We’ll continue using the Huggies, I guess, but maybe we’ll try to use up the size 1 diapers at night.  That’s the safest time to use them – Sierra barely wets a diaper while she sleeps and pretty much never poops overnight.

Clothing size is another questionable area.  Sierra fits into her 0-3 months outfits just fine, but many of her her undershirts and onesies are way too small.  I think I’m going to have to break out the 3-6 months clothes pretty soon.

Here are two more pics and a video of Sierra at 2 months old:

Next Page »